Thursday, May 17, 2012

“The Brave” By Nicholas Evans

Description from Amazon:
“Book Description
Publication Date: October 12, 2010
There's little love in eight-year-old Tom Bedford's life. His parents are old and remote and the boarding school they've sent him to bristles with bullies and sadistic staff. The only comfort he gets is from his fantasy world of Cowboys and Indians. But when his sister Diane, a rising star of stage and screen, falls in love with one of his idols, the suave TV cowboy Ray Montane, Tom's life is transformed. They move to Hollywood and all his dreams seem to have come true. Soon, however, the sinister side of Tinseltown casts its shadow and a shocking act of violence changes their lives forever.
What happened all those years ago remains a secret that corrodes Tom's life and wrecks his marriage. Only when his estranged son, a US Marine, is charged with murder do the events resurface, forcing him to confront his demons. As he struggles to save his son's life, he will learn the true meaning of bravery.
Powerfully written and intensely moving, The Brave traces the legacy of violence behind the myth of the American West and explores our quest for love and identity, the fallibility of heroes and the devastating effects of family secrets.”
I didn’t try to personally summarize this book.  I did in the first chapter however, start to misjudge it.  It was an audio book pick for me and in the second chapter I said to myself I know where this is going.  And I was right, about where it was going, but wrong about the book itself.  It carries a present and past story switching in between the chapters, but is not confusing to what was happing.  The only criticism I have is the last two women characters we meet do not have have the same depth as the rest.  Whether that’s due to us not knowing them as long or more as pieces to tie people together, to give a main character a happy ending, or my completely incorrect personal opinion.  But that is just a small piece of criticism for a book that went above and beyond my expectations.  As the description says it is, by far, “powerfully written and intensely moving.” 
 
***Nicholas Evans is also the author of, “The Horse Whisperer”
 
Now I know today is only Thursday, and the three day weekend [Memorial Day] is actually the weekend after (good time to read “The Brave”), I’m taking a blog vacation.  I know my dear followers [more correctly Mom] you may be sadly disappointed but if I keep posting so often I'll never get time to read the books that are piling up.  See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment